Egyptian Mau Cats are the oldest known descendants of domesticated cats in existence since Pharaonic times, and they are one of only a few naturally-occurring, small, spotted cats in the world.
However, Maus are facing possible extinction. In their homeland,
they are currently unrecognized, routinely poisoned, and often
suffer from endemic feline diseases. Outside of Egypt, many
Maus are also endangered due to interbreeding and lack of
new bloodlines (see History).
Formed in 2004, EMRO is officially
registered as a non-profit charity in Egypt, an NGO (Non-Governmental
Organization) with charitable number #6196 effective August 23,
2005. EMRO is dedicated to rescuing these descendents of the sacred
cat of Ancient Egypt (see Who We Are).
EMRO is an adoption agency both locally and internationally for tame Maus. Adoptions are on a cost-recovery basis and by approved application. EMRO is not supported in any way by the government but exists solely through donations, vet clinic funds, private cat boarding, and through sponsorship of its cats. EMRO aims to increase education in Egypt and around the world about these magnificent and intelligent cats.
You can help out in a number of meaningful
Any cat medicines for Ringworm, Earmites or the like, as well as donations of treats and toys, would also be very much appreciated. “Thank you” for those who have already contributed carpets and the like. Everyone is welcome to drop off the above items at the EMRO shelter door, or bring inside during shelter hours of 10:00 AM to 10:00 PM, daily.
EMRO "KITTY CAM!"
Want to view the kitties in Room #4 using the EMRO "Kitty Cam"? Then go to this link and enter "admin" in Username, and enter. NOTE: "Kitty Cam" presently down and in storage due to renovations.
Can you help donate towards the travel cost of our "Special Needs" or mature kitties (kitties who have been at the shelter for a long time or have been abandoned because they are no longer cute kittens)? Look for "Special Needs. " or the cat silhouette below in our "Adoptable" section.
- URGENT!! Sponsorships/adoptions help needed for a Saudi Arabia (KSA) cat rescue mission to either Egypt (EMRO) or Canada (Vancouver BC) in April/May 2013. To read further on this important mission, please click on PDF link.
- EMRO awarded a $2,000 U.S. Grant by SPCA International! Click here.
- Foster Parents Urgently Needed for cats and kittens. Click here.
- Volunteers needed. Click here.
- EMRO on Facebook and Twitter! Sign In or Sign Up.
* * * Newsflash * * *
There has been a recent staff reorganization (as of August 7, 2012) at EMRO Headquarters. Dr. AbdelRahman Fahmy is no longer in charge, and many members of the previous staff at EMRO are no longer in residence.
EMRO appreciates your ongoing support for the cats it serves and protects, and for your patience during the present restructuring occurring at EMRO at this time. If you have any questions, or feel unsure about any of the proceedings, please feel free to contact Founder@emaurescue.org, at your convenience.
Do You Want to Have a Look at How EMRO Works?
- The EMRO Maus need your help. Why? Click on "Help EMRO Maus" YouTube video to view the Maus who have been rescued, adopted, and are now happily living in their Forever Homes with their happy Guardians.
- EMRO article in "Egypt Today" Magazine, December 2009. Click here to view.
- Don't know the difference between an Egyptian Mau and Balady cat? Watch this "YouTube" video by Russian AUC student Rummana and EMRO PR Person, Rosalind Smith, to learn more. Egyptian Mau.
- Watch the National Geographics video about EMRO's work. (Video opens in new
- Watch the Global
Post/World Focus video about EMRO's & S.P.A.R.E.'s work
(Video opens in new window.)
- Read the feature about EMRO on the MSNBC
website. (Article opens in new window.)
- Explore the origins of the domesticated cat on the National Geographic Channel: Explorervideo "The Science of Cats".
PLEASE SUPPORT EMRO's CORPORATE SPONSOR: PURINA!
For more corporate sponsors, please see Sponsors
(Updated April 14, 2013)